Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 22:05:21 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Feature freeze

On 14 Jan, 2013, at 20:57 , Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com> wrote:
> 2013/1/12 magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>:
>> Or do we have something really cool to add first?
>
> What do you think about moving *2john files to some folder (examples:
> john-tools,all2john,utils)?

I'm not sure whether you mean the executables or the sources? If you mean the sources I would agree that we have an awful lot of files in a single directory now. Not that it bothers me very much but it would probably be a good idea to try to clean that up.

Frank pointed out another problem, lack of source re-use. We have many cases of files that do the same thing, or even use SSL where we have our own header (which may or may not end up using SSL, depending on platform).

BTW I have a vague idea we could create header files in the opencl directory for each hash primitive we support. Eg. one sha1.h that provides all needed alternatives like full separate init/update/finish as well as one-block do-it-all, and ifdefs for platform optimizations etcetera. Then, all kernels using sha1 would just include sha1.h and be done with it. Any optmizations would affect all kernels that use sha1.

Nothing of this is for Jumbo-8 though.

magnum