Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:34:31 -0600
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey@...dmark.org>
To: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Cc: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
Subject: 1Password 4 Cloud Keychain format for your cracking pleasure

We (I work for AgileBits, the makers of 1Password) are rolling out our new Cloud Keychain Format, which will replace the Agile Keychain format that you already have tools for.

The description of the new format can be found here

  http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

At the moment, this new format is only used for synching 1Password data among iOS devices (and so only gets stored on Apple's iCloud), but eventually it should replace the Agile Keychain format everywhere.

The link above describes the major changes. What you will be after is in the profile.js file (our format continues to use multiple files). I can post a sample profile.js file (with known Master Password) for testing if you'd like.

The major differences as far as crackers are concerned is that we now use PBKDF2-SHA512 to derive a 256-bit AES key and a 256-bit HMAC-SHA256 key (instead of PBKDF2-SHA1 and no MAC). Presumably, you will find the HMAC key faster to verify than performing AES decrypts.

The number of PBKDF2 iterations is calibrated at keychain creation, but is never less than 10000, and is specified in the profile.js file.

Have fun!

Cheers,

-j

–-
Jeffrey Goldberg
Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts @ AgileBits
http://agilebits.com

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (4393 bytes)