Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 11:53:32 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mask mode (was Password Generation on GPU)

On 01/06/2013 11:02 AM, Myrice Li wrote:
> Here is the very initial implementation for mask mode.
>
>  I have only tested with raw-md5 format. Currently the mask mode is very
> simple. It can do crack with following masks:
> ?l : lower case (a-z)
> ?u: upper case (A-Z)
> ?d: digits (0-9)

For a first implementation hard coding the character classes is
certainly OK.

A final implementation will have to use the character classes defined
elsewhere, to make sure ?l also contains non-ASCII lower case letters
depending on the encoding, and to automatically use any other character
classes that may be defined in the future (or character classes the user
defined in john.conf, for that matter).
Did you have a look at rules.c, static void rules_init_classes(void)
to see what's already there?

Frank