Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 09:03:14 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: BLAKE2 (was: New plugin load order magic)

On Sat, Jan 05, 2013 at 10:00:10AM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> Speed using XOP on FX-8120. There is lot of improvement but I was
> expecting more.

Yeah.  As you might have noticed, I exchanged some tweets with @aumasson
and @sevenps on this a couple of weeks ago.  There's not enough
parallelism in one instance of BLAKE2 to fully hide Bulldozer's
instruction latencies.  Things are much better on Sandy Bridge.

So we'll need to do our own interleaved instructions for multiple
instances for cracking these hashes faster, much like we do for
MD4/MD5/SHA-1.

Alexander