Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 12:07:52 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Trying to build john without *_fmt_plug.c

On 5 Jan, 2013, at 11:48 , Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com> wrote:
> (...)
> I managed to get rid of more than 100 plugin formats.
> But currently, 4 plugin formats are required to build john:
>
> (unstable-jumbo)src $ ls plugins/|wc -l
> 102
> (unstable-jumbo)src $ cat fmt_registers.h
> john_register_one(&fmt_NETHALFLM);
> john_register_one(&fmt_NETLM);
> john_register_one(&fmt_NT);
> john_register_one(&fmt_mediawiki);
>
> It would be nice if you could build john without any plugin format.
> But I don't thin I'll find time for any fixes over the weekend.

Unless we can get rid of the dependencies, we should make them non-plugins. There is no point in having plugins that can not be unplugged.

BTW you could remove non-format *_plug.c as well:

$ ls *_plug.c|grep -v _fmt
KRB4_std_plug.c
KRB5_std_plug.c
blake2b-ref_plug.c
gost_plug.c
uaf_encode_plug.c

My initial intention for plugins was for easier development of new formats, not for converting existing formats to plugins. We could just as well convert all plugins to hard-coded at each release. OTOH someone may want to build a slim binary like you did now, and then it makes sense to have everything possible as plugins.

magnum