Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 16:27:42 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Mountain Lion hashes (WIP)

On 4 Jan, 2013, at 4:29 , Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:
> Can you post a sample .plist file for a dummy user on your OS X 10.8.2 system?

I uploaded it to the sample-hashes wiki page. That file produce the following format with our current ml2john.py:

../../luser.plist:(hash)

As discussed earlier in this thread, it should ideally be more like this, and possibly more:

luser:(hash):505:20:J Random Luser,crackable4us:/Users/luser:/bin/bash:../../luser.plist

The former format would never be cracked at this speed, but the latter format would, immediately, by Single mode because "crackable4us" is the password hint given for this user (and a very good one, lol). Also, the full path of the input file is placed last, in a field that Single mode does NOT read.

Anyway, this does not explain the longer hash from the Hashcat formum. This hash loads and cracks.

magnum