Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 22:03:23 +0100
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New self-test for maximum length

On 01/01/2013 09:19 PM, magnum wrote:
> All gone, with further fixes to the self-test. Some formats depend on set_key() having been called for all N keys before crypt_all(N) is called.

May be we should document what a format implementation can safely rely
on. This does not just make the job of implementing new formats or
tuning existing formats easier, but also allows to create more robust
self tests.

Of course, the definition of what a format implementation can safely
rely on needs to be considered carefully, to avoid unnecessary overhead
in john's architecture.

Frank