Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:24:37 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Formats dmg, encfs and strip crash on longer passwords

On 31 Dec, 2012, at 10:42 , Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com> wrote:
> 2012/12/28 Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>:
>> Lukas,
>>
>> What should be the max password length (which actually works) for
>> formats using your pbkdf2 code?. Can it be increased?
>
> Sorry I missed that message. Next time please mail me directly with
> questions like that, I shall answear within a few hours.
> I am not sure about the length (at the moment), but it can be extended
> without a big problem, maybe you already did that.

I already did :-)  Max length is now 64 and max. salt length is 52. Actually, lengths over 64 are supported like this:

if ((pwlen = strlen(key)) > 64) {
	sha1(key, pwlen, saved_key);
	pwlen = 20;
} else
	memcpy(saved_key, key, pwlen);
pbkdf2(saved_key, pwlen, salt, ...);

That extra sha1 could happen in set_key() and nothing else would need to be changed.

magnum