Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 15:01:00 -0200
From: Claudio André <>
Subject: Re: Opencl build from binary

Em 18-12-2012 17:39, magnum escreveu:
> From a quick look at opencl_cryptsha512_fmt.c in your repo, I wonder
> why you didn't make more of it shared? The format could just call
> opencl_build_kernel() and the common code could use the binary if
> available, transparent to the format. However, I guess we need some
> kind of version-control. Or is there already? I didn't look very
> closely. It could be like

I tried to do something not invasive in common-opencl. Now one (only if
he wants to use new functionality) have to change source code:

opencl_init("$JOHN/", ocl_gpu_id, platform_id);

opencl_init_dev(ocl_gpu_id, platform_id);
opencl_build_kernel_save("$JOHN/", ocl_gpu_id,
magumOptions=NULL, saveBinary=1, warnAboutCompilation=1);

BTW: If needed/wanted, it is easy to create a new function opencl_init_save.

> if (no binary) OR (timestamp of source is newer than timestamp of binary)
> 	build [and write/overwrite binary]
> else
> 	use binary
> Or is that too simple? I can't think of any problems with that.

Implemented this way. Depending on how many GPUs someone have, one file
for each device name.

Attached and diff here:

Content of type "text/html" skipped

View attachment "0003-Shared-code-to-allow-to-build-and-use-binary-OpenCL-.patch" of type "text/x-patch" (5565 bytes)