Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 08:33:50 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Anything else that would benefit from OpenMP?

On 6 Dec, 2012, at 7:00 , Andrew Pawloski <pawloski@...ple.edu> wrote:
> Well I guess I snoozed and lost :) I was originally planning on implementing OpenMP in the HMAC fmts, but I just saw Dhiru beat me to it. Is there anything else that could use OpenMP?

Plenty.

$ grep -EL FMT_OMP *fmt*c | grep -Ev '^(cuda|opencl|raw)'
AFS_fmt.c
BFEgg_fmt_plug.c
DMD5_fmt_plug.c
DOMINOSEC_fmt_plug.c
EPI_fmt_plug.c
KRB4_fmt_plug.c
KRB5_fmt_plug.c
NS_fmt_plug.c
NT_fmt_plug.c
PHPS_fmt_plug.c
PO_fmt_plug.c
SKEY_fmt.c
dynamic_fmt.c
formspring_fmt_plug.c
hmacMD5_fmt.c
hmacSHA1_fmt.c
hmailserver_fmt_plug.c
md4_gen_fmt_plug.c
mediawiki_fmt_plug.c
mssql-old_fmt_plug.c
mssql05_fmt_plug.c
mysqlSHA1_fmt_plug.c
nsldap_fmt_plug.c
oracle11_fmt_plug.c
oracle_fmt_plug.c
osc_fmt_plug.c
phpassMD5_fmt_plug.c
pixMD5_fmt_plug.c
salted_sha1_fmt_plug.c
sha1_gen_fmt_plug.c
sunmd5_fmt_plug.c
truecrypt_fmt.c

Dhiru chickened out on hmac-md5 and hmac-sha1 because of the SSE2 support, but it's not that hard. OTOH they may be too fast to benefit from OMP unless built without SSE2. An option would be to add OMP for non-MMX/SSE builds only.

Many more of the above are too fast: NT for one (it's really just raw-md4-unicode) but even salted formats like MSSQL are almost impossible to get to scale well (I have tried). If you want low-hanging fruit, truecrypt_fmt.c should be a walk in the park and it should also scale perfectly. The slower, the easier of course.

magnum