Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 00:27:58 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: self-test duration vs. GPU benchmarks

On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 01:40:40AM +0100, magnum wrote:
> As core John development has come to a full halt I have now merged this
> patch to unstable-jumbo instead of just to bleeding. We'll want it in
> Jumbo-8 anyway.

I'm not so sure about jumbo-8, but it appears that you've decided for
me, and I have no grounds to object - it is my fault that I haven't
released a new core version yet.  I am sorry about that.  I do intend to
resume core John development.

> I would like to add a new format flag in Jumbo: FMT_GPU. With that in
> place, we can omit GPU formats from the --test [all] case (with a
> comment printed) right now, and we could also handle self-tests somewhat
> differently from CPU formats - like testing a good number of hashes in
> one call to crypt_all() instead of trying one at a time in a large
> number of long-duration calls.

OK, although I think the revision to self-test should eventually be made
for all formats, and done() should be implemented for the GPU formats so
that they can be included in --test.  Aren't you merging the patch that
adds done() now?  Anyhow, you're the one to decide on this, as someone
more active at JtR development than I am. ;-)

Alexander