Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 01:53:16 +0100
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com>
Cc: "john-dev@...ts.openwall.com" <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Milen's SHA-1 in our wpapsk-opencl

Cool, thanks. It's now committed to the wpapsk format. I found that Lukas' old code (which has optimizations for the case where 2/3 of the buffer are zero) is faster on nvidia so I kept it and use your code only for AMD. It seems the mentioned optimizations are made by the compiler on AMD, but not on nvidia.

BTW the 7970 now does 134K c/s [1] with our wpapsk despite I use a split kernel with global memory state buffer - max duration is 200 ms @39 calls of 105 iterations each. That's with a max length of 32, a max of 64 is just 0.4% slower so maybe I should use that as default - I believe it is the actual max for WPAPSK.

BTW I also tried using your code for office2007 and office2010 but for some odd reason it did not change performance at all - same speed down to last digit. I had to add #warning pragmas to convince myself I ran the right code. Very odd. It's 50,000 or 100,000 iterations, it should really get the same 2% boost as in wpapsk. I gave up and did not commit that.

Thanks again,
magnum

[1] that's with LWS=64 and GWS=1M. The auto-discovery will pick a more moderate GWS of 256K and end up with 132K c/s which is also more responsive (~25 ms per call).

On 23 Nov, 2012, at 8:08 , Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com> wrote:

> Hello magnum,
>
> You are free to use it (mentioning my name would be OK :) ). Just be careful with the endian reversals, you might (not) need them in the specific context. The code assumes input is already in big endian form. The output is also big-endian unless you convert it.
>

> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 1:05 AM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:
> Cheers Milen,
>
> Can I nick the SHA1 you have in the RAR kernel? It's 1-2% faster for Office 2007 than our code (after adoptions to my needs).
>
> And if so, do you want some specific license text or should I just mention you in the comments? I'll probably want to use it in several formats.
>
> Thanks,
> magnum

Content of type "text/html" skipped