Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 14:53:40 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: KoreLogic rules on Openwall

Vlatko, all -

Please note (for future occasions) that wordlist rules discussions (not
involving changes to JtR source code in C) belong to the john-users
list, not john-dev.  The KoreLogic ruleset in particular was not even
mentioned on john-dev until now, as far as I recall - but it was on
john-users.  john-dev is for discussions of JtR source code that are
beyond what's readily suitable for end-users (whereas changes to
wordlist rules in a .conf file are readily suitable for end-users).

For now, please continue this thread in here.  Maybe announce on
john-users (and then proceed on john-users) once you've updated the wiki.

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 11:27:47AM +0100, magnum wrote:
> - [:c] Az"\p[mM]arch"
> + [:c] <* Az"\p[mM]arch"
[...]
> This may have been intended

No, not intended.  Probably in fact an error on my part.

Vlatko - please register for an account on our wiki and add your revised
rulesets to the john/rules page.

> given that (I think) no formats have a shorter maximum length than 7.

This is irrelevant.  The intent of the <* check is to ensure there's
room for adding at least one letter.  If not, then appending anything is
a no-op.

Thanks,

Alexander