Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:55:46 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <>
Subject: Re: Re: Office <=2003 format

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:02 PM, magnum <> wrote:
> I am considering implementing oldoffice in OpenCL. This will be easy enough
> but I would prefer splitting it into two different formats - one for MD5 and
> another for SHA1. But what would I call them? When did they switch to SHA1?
> It seems all Office 2003 test files are using SHA1.
That's right, it changed in (office)2003 to a more secure default. The
rounds changed between 2007 and 2010 I believe (from 1k to 50k).
I'd call the old "weak" encryption MS_OFFICE_RC4, I think the md5 is
the last part of the encryption and the RC4 the "main part" no? It's
typically referred to as RC4
It appears they change the crypto with SP's
(I've not changed the defaults in those example files, I may add some :)