Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 21:09:14 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Non-hash dupe suppression (was: o5logon format hacks)

On 3 Oct, 2012, at 19:37 , magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 Oct, 2012, at 19:12 , Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com> wrote:

>>> Small correction: We should probably use 8 bytes and crc64 in order to be reasonably safe against hash collisions.
>>
>> Looking forward for these changes.
>
> I could try this in the office formats and see how it works out. If this turns out OK, you can copy that changes to all your non-hash formats if you like.

Unfortunately my idea does not fly. Core changes are needed. After just doing the above, the self-test complains that get_hash() does not produce the same hash as binary_hash() since the former just use the fmt_default. I should have expected that :)  I see no way to do this without changing core.

With a core change, we could instead do something like this: All non-hash formats just use a BINARY_SIZE of 0 and fmt_default_binary etc. And loader.c could detect this situation and do the dupe supression all by itself by crc64'ing the ciphertexts. I *think* this could be a fairly easy fix but I won't touch that until Solar talks.

magnum