Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 23:49:46 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPL license is not free at all

On 1 Oct, 2012, at 21:50 , Milen Rangelov <gat3way@...il.com> wrote:

> By the way, Debian distribute unrar in both binary and source form, under "non-free". It also has 7z package which is able to unpack rar using unrar code is _not_ under the non-free section.

7z is LGPL except for 7z.dll which is "LGPL + unrar restriction". The Unarchiver is also LGPL but apparently is not deemed a derivate of the unrar code so doesn't carry that license.

Indeed, Unarchiver seems to be the solution for our RAR problem in Jumbo (provided there is a problem) but only if someone volunteers to rip out the needed stuff and change it to our needs. It's Objective C. Specifically, we do not pass a file handle, we pass a memory buffer with encrypted data, and a candidate AES key+IV. We need to bail out from a bad key as early as possible. Specifically, we must not decrypt the whole buffer (which may be huge) unless decompression actually succeeds that far. Also, we should support AESNI when available. Anyone up to the task? I am not.

magnum