Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:56:18 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 1.7.9-jumbo-7

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 01:25:23AM -0500, jfoug wrote:
> That is good news.  What are your short (or not so short) term outlook
> beyond J7?  Are we going to start a direction towards a J-8, or is 1.8 with
> the  great core additions going to be the next target?  I think that both
> (either) of these goals have quite a few positives.
>
> However, with as many new formats beyond this soon to be released J-7, we
> may have to do a J-8, simply to have a good starting point to hang these new
> formats off of.

I think that we'll most likely have a 1.7.9-j8 before 1.8.  This will be
better for separation of jumbo's new formats vs. core updates.  j6's
announcement was too lengthy; I think we should try to keep the number
of changes per release smaller.

Meanwhile, let's continue getting new stuff into magnum-jumbo and
bleeding-jumbo like we have been doing lately, whereas the fixes branch
will no longer be needed (until we possibly need a new branch like it
again, for some other jumbo update).

Alexander