Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:21:11 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Office 2013 files with JtR

On 2012-09-04 04:09, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
> wrote:
>> On 3 Sep, 2012, at 18:11 , Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Note: To be really usable, we need an OpenCL implementation.
>>> magnum, Lukas?
>>
>> I could give it a shot. It gets complicated as you support three
>> different types in one format (although that's easier for the
>> user).
>>
>> So 2013 is SHA512 + AES and 2010 is SHA1 + AES, right? And, um...
>> 2007 is also SHA1 + AES but using another scheme? I could start
>> with 2007/2010 I guess.
>
> Correct. Starting with 2007 or  2010 sounds like a good plan. Only
> fast SHA1 OpenCL implementation is required then.

Prepearing for the OpenCL version, I started looking into this format
and found a fatal memory leak in Office 2007 as well as some obvious
optimizations in all versions. They did not affect performance much (not
in inner loop) but there were alloc/free's and memcpy/memmove's which I
try to squat when possible - and it did not affect readability much.
Fixes are committed.

magnum