Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 22:18:41 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking Mountain Lion hashes (WIP)

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Alexander Cherepanov <cherepan@...me.ru> wrote:
> 1. This format doesn't accept grub hashes without editing but I'm sure
> you know it.

Right. GRUB 2 hashes needs to be edited slightly (replacing the format
tag at the start).

> 2. Don't know about Mac OS but grub can use salt and hash of any
> length:

I didn't know this. Thanks for pointing it out.

> which your code doesn't seem to accommodate for. Don't know how
> popular it is and whether it's worth supporting.

It is not my code ;). Lukas wrote it. I can see if this can be fixed easily.

Lukas,

Any comments? I think we already calculate variables salt's length
correctly. We just need to apply the same code to actual hash string.
Correct?

> 3. Just found that passlib supports plain pbkdf2_sha512 (in
> addition to grub_pbkdf2_sha512). It looks like this:
> '$pbkdf2-sha512$6400$Y2wNgZByDgGgFEIIYay1Ng$y2Epfl7fAwx7v.Zw9hNnEKCfGmWvFZoF.dQMfjhjnM.sSmDI7yXRe8JcqrdPdf5nbFEgMBWSY2cPW1stdtD3oA'

Is this output format used by some real application? If yes, then we
will have to add support for it at some point. Thanks again.

--
Cheers,
Dhiru