Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 15:31:13 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GitHub issue 82

magnum -

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 01:10:46PM +0200, magnum wrote:
> A problem with sboxes-s.c vs PowerPC/Altivec was reported at https://github.com/magnumripper/magnum-jumbo/issues/82 and (I think) a patch for it too, but the patch don't show well in that interface. Hopefully it will be re-reported to this list, but this is a heads up.

Yes, thanks.  A fix of this nature is also needed for the Linux/PowerPC
targets.  I'm not sure if the same fix proposed by mc-sammer would make
things better or worse on Linux - we'd need to test (and I'd need to ask
a friend for access to a Linux/PowerPC box again).  I'm not sure if
merging a fix like this in jumbo is a good idea or not.  The issue is in
core, and fixing it properly requires testing on multiple systems.

For future occasions, please don't post e-mail addresses to GitHub or
other public places without obfuscation.  As you can see, GitHub itself
did not obfuscate the john-dev list address that you posted.  Sure, this
address is technically public in many places, but luckily the major
archives do obfuscate it.  An extra mention of it in public, especially
without any obfuscation and with a mailto: tag (like we have on GitHub
now) means that I'll have to wade through more spam (the list is
pre-moderated for posts from yet unknown addresses, so that we don't get
any spam distributed to subscribers).

Thanks,

Alexander