Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 22:49:46 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenMP HMAC (Student project?)

On 4 Sep, 2012, at 18:13 , Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 11:40:11AM -0400, Andrew Pawloski wrote:
>> I'm a senior computer science student scouting out projects for a software
>> development course. I've been stalking the wiki and noticed that
>> OpenMP-enabled HMAC formats is at the top of the wish list.
>>
>> I was wondering, what is the current status of development in this project?
>> Is there anything I could be of assistance with? (I've used OpenMP fairly
>> extensively, but am generally unfamiliar with HMAC.)
>
> IIRC, adding OpenMP support to the HMAC formats was brought up by me in
> a posting in here, as a possible minor enhancement that magnum could
> implement (as the author of these formats).  Then magnum added this to
> the wishlist.
>
> It is a fairly easy task, so is probably suitable for getting started
> with contributing to the project.  magnum is the one to decide whether
> he'd like to work with you on this task or implement it himself.

By all means, go ahead! I believe it should be very easy, I just haven't got a round tuit. I am not the original author of hmac-md5, which was our first format, so I am in no way an expert on HMAC (quite the contrary) and I merely copied that code and changed the digest function when I wrote the hmac-sha1/2 formats. But if you get stuck, just bring your questions to the list.

magnum