Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 12:52:02 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <>
Subject: Re: oldoffice

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Dhiru Kholia <> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 8:34 PM, magnum <> wrote:
>> You should set FMT_UNICODE in the oldoffice format. Also, you might want to use the full Unicode conversion functions (I think you do in the office 2007+ format) and set FMT_UTF8 too. Perhaps you already planned this?
> I will add it to my TODO list. Thanks!
> I will get back to this task after writing a cracker for STRIP Password Manager.
>> BTW, did they use some other encryption between Office 2003 and 2007? Is support for that planned too? Maybe I missed some discussion on the lists.
> I don't think there was any other encryption scheme which was used
> between Office 2003 and 2007.
Since Office XP they supported other Cipher Types and longer keys
(128bit I think); the default was the 40-bit RC4 until office 2003
I previously outlined and linked to some of this data previously:
I created one of each type (if not more?) using each of the office
suites I could get a hold of. I did not use any Mac/Apple office
suites, but I did attempt to use all the windows office suites. I only
created Excel and Word doc's, I did not do Power Point or Access DB's.
The samples I believe are on the wiki now Something to note,
is the password could be longer than what office will accept in some
cases, so I believe 15 characters is the max those cases.