Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 14:14:37 +0200
From: Camille Mougey <commial@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Benchmark format error

2012/8/28 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>

> Hi Camille,
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 09:07:43AM +0200, Camille Mougey wrote:
> > I'm trying to add a new format to john. Actually, the format is working
> on
> > hashlist, with and without the tag, etc.
> > But the benchmark part isn't working, and I have no idea why.
>
> Are you able to post the code?

At present, I can't. I hope I will in the future :)

>  > In fact, john said the self-test failed
>
> Can you please post the specific "FAILED ..." message?  It should
> include the function name on which the failure was detected.

You're right. Here the details :
$john --test --format=myformat
Benchmarking: (...)[32/32]... FAILED (get_hash[2](0))

John version : 1.7.9-jumbo-6 [linux-x86-sse2]

> Also, what version of John are you adding this format to?  (There are
> currently slightly different requirements between magnum-jumbo and
> bleeding-jumbo branches.)
>
> > Has anyone an idea of the possible reason for a format to work on hash
> list
> > while failing its tests ?
>
> There are many possible reasons, ranging from wrong test vectors to code
> bugs.  It'd be helpful to see whatever additional info you can post
> before we start guessing.

My fmt_tests looks like :
{ "ahash", "itsmeaning"},
{NULL}

And when I launch john on the "ahash", I get :
Loaded 1 password hash (...)
Self test failed (get_hash[2](0))

Then, I replace the fmt_tests by only {NULL} and get:
Loaded 1 password hash (...)
itsmeaning        (?)
guesses: 1 .... etc.

Hope it will be helpful.