Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 10:35:00 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Getting a stack warning (VC build), and some other warnings / problems.

Found.

uchar iv[16]  but we put 20 bytes into it.  Opps :)

I have committed (will commit) on mag-jumbo.

>From: Dhiru Kholia [mailto:dhiru.kholia@...il.com]
>
>On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 7:59 PM, jfoug <jfoug@....net> wrote:
>> Benchmarking: Apple DMG PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-1 3DES / AES [32/32]... (0) :
>> Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable 'iv' was
>> corrupted.(0) : Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable
'iv' was
>> corrupted.(0) : Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the variable
>> 'iv' was corrupted.(0) : Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack around the
>> variable 'iv' was corrupted.(0) : Run-Time Check Failure #2 - Stack
>> around the variable 'iv' was corrupted.DONE
>>
>> Raw:    62.5 c/s
>> This warning is ALMOST never spurious.   Something on the stack is
>getting
>> whacked.
>
>> These issues are just listed here.  I have not had time to look into
them.
>> The first error is only going to be 'seen' under a VC build (possibly
>> seen on some other build if it has full stack checking).
>
>Jim,
>
>DMG format built under linux-x86-64-clang-debug target runs fine. No
>stack corruption.

There is 'no' stack blow.  It is one var blowing the next. Ppl bitch about
VC, but for many things it us MUCH better than I have seen on any unix or
unix like compiler.  I also know it fails to find a lot of things gcc finds.
But in this case, it was 100% correct, and the bug was easy to spot, once I
stepped into it.