Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 18:51:49 +0200
From: Lukas Odzioba <lukas.odzioba@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion password hash sample

2012/8/23 Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>:
> Hi,
>
> This appears to have a sample hash (and plaintext password):
>
> http://www.hackmac.org/forum/topic/1133-os-x-108-mountain-lion/
>
> It is supposed to be PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA-512, but I don't know the iteration
> count (we can try to crack the iteration count, or we can find it in the
> source code I guess).
>
> Alexander

Myrice:
I guess that you have 10.8. Can you provide sample hash with known
password. We have code that should find iteration count.
Salt and maybe iteration count is visible in output of this:
dscl . -read /Users/<username> ShadowHashData

or somewhere here:
/private/var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default/users/username.plist

According to:
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/12833
https://gist.github.com/3258894

Maybe it is just 15174 or 29069.