Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 00:43:38 +0400
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <aleksey.4erepanov@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Johnny license and other licenses involved

Johnny has code written by me and Shinnok, images got from Open Icon
Library and Johnny is linked against Qt.

Code in johnny is under reduced mit license. It seems to be compatible
with whatever there could be.

Images are... I do not know license. README.icons says:
Originally created:  10 Nov 2009
Icon creators:  see LICENSES file
Archive Creator:    Jeff Israel
License url: http://openiconlibrary.sourceforge.net/LICENSES.html
The icons in this package are under various free/open licenses
such as GPL, Creative Commons, etc.  All sources with
their respective licenses are documented in the LICENSES file,
as well as in their metadata.
License url: http://openiconlibrary.sourceforge.net/LICENSES.html

Images do not have meta information. So it is hard to determine what
exact license certain image is subject to.

By the way if we package johnny as .deb or .rpm then should we use
images from respective packages on system? Or is it ok to dupe images?
Though it is related only to src packages. I guess I need to craft src
.deb to build right .deb binary package.

Qt is available under LGPL 2.1 with exception, GPL 3.0 or commercial
license. For binary distribution GPL 3.0 seems ok for us: we could
refer to sources in original place not providing them directly (e.g.
qt's site if we build against sources from there, page at
packages.debian.org if we build on debian). How should I notice it?

GPL-3 point 5.d says:
    d) If the work has interactive user interfaces, each must display
    Appropriate Legal Notices; however, if the Program has interactive
    interfaces that do not display Appropriate Legal Notices, your
    work need not make them do so.
It does not seem to affect me because qt does not seem to have
interactive interface. So I could postpone "about" screen and do not
write there about qt at all.

Currently I am lost with all these points. I do not know what I should
do with it and should I do something at all. Any tips?

Thanks!

--
Regards,
Aleksey Cherepanov