Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 02:22:29 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bf-opencl fails self-test on CPU

On 2012-08-12 20:33, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:28:05PM +0530, Sayantan Datta wrote:
>> With Intel SDK bf-opencl passed the self test on i5 2500k with 1450c/s .
>> However it fails with AMD SDK on same machine. Probably its not a very good
>> idea but still I was wondering if we could we use the Intel SDK for AMD
>> cpu's too.
>
> We can, but my point was that there could be a bug somewhere in our
> bf-opencl code that only shows up on some builds - if so, we'd want to
> find and fix the bug even if it's of little practical relevance
> currently.  Indeed, it is also possible that the bug is actually in
> AMD's SDK.  We just don't know.

I believe this patch (just committed to git) strongly indicates that
it's a bug in the SDK - it works around the problem with no ill side
effects.

magnum@...l:src [1.7.9-jumbo-6-fixes]$ ../run/john -t -fo:bf-opencl
-plat=1 -dev=1
OpenCL platform 1: AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing, 2 device(s).
Using device 1: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor
****Please see 'opencl_bf_std.h' for device specific optimizations****
Benchmarking: OpenBSD Blowfish (x32) [OpenCL]... DONE
Raw:    3056 c/s real, 386 c/s virtual

magnum

View attachment "bf-opencl-cpufix.diff" of type "text/x-patch" (1408 bytes)