Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 20:07:27 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: bf-opencl fails self-test on CPU

On 2012-08-12 19:58, Sayantan Datta wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 11:15 PM, magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com> wrote:

>> it
>>>
>>> FWIW it works fine on my laptop, using Intel's SDK.
>>
>> I just realised I have AMD SDK installed too %-)
>>
>> This is the one only supporting CPU. I have no problems running
>> bf-opencl with it (and it is faster than on Intel's SDK):
>
> With Intel SDK bf-opencl passed the self test on i5 2500k with 1450c/s .
> However it fails with AMD SDK on same machine. Probably its not a very good
> idea but still I was wondering if we could we use the Intel SDK for AMD
> cpu's too.

Intel's SDK officially supports AMD CPU's (but possibly with non optimal
performance), and vice versa. We should have both installed on bull, and
aim to get everything running on both SDK's. But in this case it might
be a bug in AMD APP 923.1 that is not present in 831.4.

BTW I also tried compiling bf-kernel.cl with clcc but did not get any
new clues (sometimes it emits invaluable info).

magnum