Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:23:03 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: bleeding-jumbo and contest edition fail to recognize cracked dynamic_21 hashes

I have found the issue here (I hope).  Recently added, was writing hashes
out in a salt-safe manner, within dynamic. This was done to work around some
known issues, such as \n : $ NULL, or other naughty characters being
contained within the salt field, causing JtR's string handling and field
splitting functions to fail.

Well, there were 2 places within loader which required changes.  One was in
load_pot_line() the other (which was not done), as in show_pot_line().  I am
not sure why the 2 functions, but I had only added code to the
load_pot_line.

This also affects the j7 release candidate  I have made some changes here
also.

I may need to talk to magnum offline a little, to figure out just how to
push this out. It may be best if I make a patch for j7-rc, for jumbo, and
for bleeding.  Unfortunately, I think that all of these may have some
collision issues, especially within the loader code, which is different
between the versions.

Jim.