Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 21:24:45 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Cracking PuTTY private keys with JtR

On 2012-08-06 18:43, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> I have added support for cracking PuTTY password protected private
> keys to JtR. My code is based on
> http://neophob.com/2007/10/putty-private-key-cracker/ by michu.

Excellent, you spray formats like a Gatling gun! I have a suggestion
though: IMHO this format should be called "putty" instead of ppk (unless
there are other possible putty formats?). And several of your other
recent formats are totally unkown to me, with abbreviations like sxc, nk
and  pfx. In several cases, a tad longer format label would much more
self-descriptive.

And even more important, the FORMAT_NAME should be *much* more
descriptive. I have a vague memory pfx is something very common, but it
just says "pfx" even in FORMAT_NAME and I just don't know what it is
without searching list archives.

magnum