Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:10:25 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Some more external mode definitions

On 07/23/2012 05:11 PM, magnum wrote:
> On 2012-07-23 15:14, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> I prepared a patch to rename maxlen to cipher_limit, because that is the
>> name that has a better chance to be accepted for core jumbo.
>
> This is marginally useful as we're not sure cipher_limit will be the
> final name anyway. When Solar changes core, I'll probably need to sort
> things out no matter what we call it. But sure, go ahead.

If we release a jumbo version with a name that differs, then users must
change the external modes they defined on their own if we later change
the name.
If the implementation changes in core, that's not a problem, because
that is not part of the "user interface".

>> Since I prefer not to push changes into your repository without a chance
>> for others to review them, I'll include the patch inlined at the end of
>> my mail.
>
> You wont push directly anyway. When you send a pull request, the one
> accepting it (usually me or Dhiru) can/should review it. Having said
> that, it's not a bad idea to show it here too.

I know I don't push into your repository. and this was a trivial change
anyway. But generally, I'd prefer comments and suggestions prior to
changes being published in your repository and pulled by others.
May be I shouldn't care about that.

I just sent a pull request for this change + (in a separate commit) the
filter_rot13 rewritten for easier adjustment (rot1 ... rot25?)

Frank