Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:27:21 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Some more external mode definitions

On 07/23/2012 11:20 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:42:39PM +0200, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> I grepped all the conf files. I only found uses of "maxlength", not
>> "maxlen".
>>
>> The new predefined variable is documented in doc/EXTERNAL.
>
> I am not going to keep the name maxlen.  I was/am considering calling
> it limit or maxlength (yes, same as what some existing external
> modes use, so the declaration and assignment to that variable would need
> to be dropped from them eventually).  Another possible name is
> cipher_limit, and we could also have cipher_case and cipher_8bit
> (Booleans corresponding to the FMT_* flags).

I wouldn't use maxlength, because there might be other uses in external
modes defined by users, so we'd force them to change their existing
external modes.
The same could happen with maxlen or limit, but if is less likely,
because most users will copy and adjust an existing external mode.

If you intend to add more format attributes in future versions, may be
cipher_limit would be the best name, even if in the case of
--stdout=LENGTH the limit doesn't come from the cipher.

So far, there is no harm done, because that patch didn't go into
1.7.9-jumbo-6-fixes.

Frank