Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:58:12 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: RFC: add more information to --list=build-info output?

> On 07/19/2012 10:36 AM, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>
>Nevertheless, a --list=run-time-info can be useful.
>Various library versions, CPU info, OS and version, available memory,
>locale setting (LANG=en_US.UTF-8 / LC_ALL=C) ...

I fully agree with this.   It might also be good to simply do:

--list=john-system-info

That has a 'build-info' section, and a 'run-time-info' section, and have it
all show up on one run.

That way, if a user is having problems, he could simply be asked to use:

run/john --list=john-system-info

and reply to the email chain with that information.   It could show it all.
The build params, the runtime loaded modules  (even an ldd on john would be
'possible' for some systems), and the machine environment (CPU, MEM, os
name/ver, etc).

But I do think this would be helpful.  It may not be the smallest task,
since some of that information may be hard to obtain if the OS does not
provide tools to do it (like uname or ways to get mem, etc).

Jim.