Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:39:27 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: [magnum-jumbo] pfx cracking: 8k+ P12/PFX error (#67)

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 03:59:23PM +0530, Dhiru Kholia wrote:
> Ohh right! ... LINE_BUFFER_SIZE needs to be bumped. What should I
> change it do?

0x10000 maybe?

> Won't it have any performance impact?

No, just memory (or even address space rather than actual memory mostly).

> Another relevant question : reading the actual file from john will be
> a bad hack, correct?

Do you mean embedding the filename in whatever *2john outputs?  If so,
this is appropriate for large files.  I think we're doing it for RAR
already.

Or do you mean patching the loader to read binary files directly?  This
is inconsistent with the current approach, although we might arrive at
it later, perhaps by introducing some per-format handler similar to
prepare() but intended for binary input files.  This is not something
you should attempt now.

Thanks,

Alexander