Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 14:57:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: xsha512-cuda & xsha512-opencl testing

myrice -

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 06:23:36PM +0800, myrice wrote:
> BTW, what is exactly bitmaps you said for my format?

In addition to my previous response:

You wrote "for my format".  This reminds me that you should move on to
even faster hashes for these experiments.  The SHA-512 stuff was a low
hanging fruit in terms of bottleneck avoidance, and XSHA512 additionally
let you avoid some bottlenecks in the "many salts" case.  However, to
really see the reason for and effect of bitmaps on GPU and such, you
need to play with faster hashes, such as raw MD5 and raw SHA-1.  Then
whatever approaches you come up with there would also be usable for
SHA-512, for some speedup (relatively smaller).

Alexander