Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:14:31 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Another CVS core bug: Does not load bare hashes

>>This may be better 'fixed' with a 1 line change in loader.c
>>
>>In the bottom of the !ciphertext block:
>>
>>		}
>>		*p = 0;
>>		*login = no_username;
>>+		fields[1] = *ciphertext;
>>	}
>>
>>I am testing now, to be 100% sure this does fix 'everything', but I
>>believe it will.
>
>By itself, it does not
>
>Still problems in all net*lm* formats (and mschapv2).   Likely a very
>similar problem.

With this change in loader.c  (i.e. all of the comments, were code)

//	if ((options->flags & DB_WORDS) || options->shells->head) {
		for (i = 2; i < 10; i++)
			fields[i] = ldr_get_field(&line, options->field_sep_char);
//	} else {
//		for (i = 2; i < 4; i++)
//			fields[i] = ldr_get_field(&line, options->field_sep_char);
//		for (; i < 10; i++)
//			fields[i] = "/";
//	}

Now, the net*lm* formats are working fine.  However, Alex made this change, and I am not sure why, so I will not propose cutting out these lines, UNTIL he can explain why the change was made.  Prior code always filled all 10 items.  Some formats require more than the first 4

Note, I am still running a full TS, so I am not 100% sure everything that the TS catches has been fixed (and I have only started testing on SSE2i).

Jim.