Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:47:35 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: magnum-jumbo and magnum-bleeding (NOT J7), and the source() function

>From: Solar Designer [mailto:solar@...nwall.com]
>
>Jim -
>
>I feel that your message is emotional.  If you continue to be so
>uncomfortable about the current state of things, I might make code
>changes just to make you happier since you're an important contributor,
>even though I continue to think that no such changes are desirable right
>now.  I think that the current (limited) interface I introduced is
>sufficient for bleeding's immediate needs, whereas we have other and
>higher-priority formats interface changes to introduce as well (such as
>to support myrice's work, which is time-sensitive because of GSoC
>constraints), and I dislike your get_source() interface from bleeding
>for two reasons (so I'd try to come up with a different enhancement to
>the current interface when the time is right).

I am fine with the current changes you have in core, and fully understand
the need to move towards certain other changes, and needing to have bleeding
and core come to a unified trade off with bleeding to continue development
in other areas.   I am not tied to the code I had done, but I just know
things had been worked through in other areas.  As for that interface being
'rolled out', we really had held off doing too much work in too many
formats, specifically for the reason that the coding work would likely have
to be redone.

Even now, if the interface does change shortly, it is not that huge of a
deal, simply because so few formats will have actually implemented the
source function.  The majority will simply be fmt_default_source so an
interface change is zero impact on them.

Jim.