Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 14:28:19 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Aleksey's status report #10

On 07/13/2012 01:49 PM, Aleksey Cherepanov wrote:
> Is .rec files wiped out not before pot is written? May we loose some
> cracked password but think that session was ended?

I think the .rec file gets deleted after .pot and .log are changed.
But you should expect that this file disappeared when a session ended.

Afterwards, you'd need to grep -c "Cracked..." session.log to find the
number of cracked passwords.
If you just count the lines in the .pot file (assuming you have a
separate .pot per session), you'd miss cases were 2 users have exactly
the same hash (or just different representations of the same hash which
get converted into the same canonical representation of the hash before
they are written into the .pot file).

Frank