Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 15:06:06 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RACF format

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> racf_fmt_plug.c needs a proper valid(), not just a check for $racf$.

This problems exists in lot of my formats. I am secretly waiting for
Frank to send the patches ;)

> Also, it could benefit from a prepare() - to extract the username.
> Right now, the required input format is:
>
> userid:$racf$*userid*deshash
>
> whereas with prepare() you could make it simply:
>
> username:$RACF$hash
>
> and have that converted by prepare() to the representation that embeds
> the username internally (for storage in john.pot).

I didn't know about prepare(). I will check it out.

> BTW, I see no reason to have a "*" before the username.  Your code could
> instead assume that the username starts right after $RACF$ (of course,
> if this is the encoding that you'd choose to use).

Right. I have introduced this convention in lot of other formats too.
Username should start right away without the "*".

Jim,

Can you please add support for RACF format in the test suite?
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/sample-hashes has two implementation of
RACF hash generator (one in C and one in Python). Writing and reading
Perl is beyond me ;)

All,

Modern RACF versions can use long (14 - 100) passphrases. It would be
great if someone could post some sample hashes.

--
Cheers,
Dhiru