Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 18:08:30 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: opencl_mscash2_fmt.c: clear_keys()

Sayantan -

opencl_mscash2_fmt.c's clear_keys() doesn't appear to serve a useful
purpose.  Did you add it for a specific reason or just because it was
supported by the formats interface?  I think fmt_default_clear_keys (a
no-op) would work just as well, but faster.

Zeroizing of dcc2_hash_host (the computed hashes) in clear_keys() is
especially weird because this is a salted format, whereas clear_keys()
is only called before/after having tried the keys for all salts, not
between salts.  So the hashes stayed non-zeroized in most cases anyway,
and thus your code shouldn't have relied on them being zeroized anyway.

So far, the only reasonable use of clear_keys() is in Jim's "dynamic".
(Previously, there was also a use for bitslice DES key setup, but I've
since switched to using a key setup algorithm that does not need that.)

Alexander