Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 08:30:37 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: [john-users] Cracking Word files?

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Elijah [W&P] <smarteam.support@...il.com> wrote:
> Is there such a need to store path to a .doc file in a file with a task for
> john? We are not storing the full filename where the hash comes from for
> other formats so why to make such an exclusion which brings such
> inconsistency issues?
(I believe)Rar2John needs to know where the archive is to see if it's
correct when a possible candidate is found, so I think *some* do need
the path if they aren't more local, perhaps on another
drive/partition. The colon probably only affects win32. Rar2john is
subject to some possible false-positives so perhaps it's more
paramount to have the path for that program, I assume in office it
would be necessary as well since the files in docx/xlsx etc are in a
compressed archive (maybe OLE container) and once the candidate
hash/pass is found it has to check to see if that's the right one? I
can't follow the source well so that may not be true for either :)
-rich