Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 07:41:02 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: xsha512-cuda & xsha512-opencl testing

myrice -

Can you please start testing these formats with the following kinds of
test files (generate them first):

1 hash (and thus 1 salt)
100 hashes, 100 salts
10000 hashes, 10000 salts
10000 hashes, 100 salts (100 hashes per salt)
10000 hashes, 1 salt (10000 hashes per salt)
1000000 hashes, 1000000 salts
1000000 hashes, 1000 salts (1000 hashes per salt)
1000000 hashes, 1 salt

No need to test single crack mode (we know it'll behave poorly), but
with e.g. -i=all8 it should be possible to get all of these to run
faster than CPU.  Note that JtR reports "effective" c/s rate while
cracking - that is, combinations of {candidate password, target hash}
tried per second.  So for 1M hashes with just 1 salt, you should see a
huge figure there (like "50000G" if you get this to run optimally, which
might not be easy).  (Yes, I need to improve reporting to include raw
c/s rate as well.)

I think this should help you identify bottlenecks in the less usual
cases.  You don't have to deal with all such bottlenecks at once, but
perhaps you'll be able to deal with some.  Also, this should let you see
the effect of changes/optimizations that would otherwise appear to be
useless (on --test and on more typical files).

Thanks,

Alexander