Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 12:45:40 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: Build error for generic (was: SHA2 added to bleeding)

There are 2 patches here.

1. generic make did not work in bleeding, since the changes adding
get_source() method to the formats.  Small patch to loader.h and formats.c
fixes this problem. Get_source needs the db_password structure, which was
#ifdef out of bench builds.
2. I added the allows_unaligned logic to detect.c  (in the 'unaligned' patch
above).

The first patch is ONLY for bleeding (for the changes due to get_source).
The 2nd, I believe, should be in bleeding, and magnum-jumbo.  I will post
timing differences shortly on a mag-bleeding build, where the aligned vs
unaligned is the only difference.  I also plan on comparing to sse2i build
(to see if what non-optimal formats there are in that build).

Jim.

>From: jfoug [mailto:jfoug@....net]
>
>>From: Frank Dittrich [mailto:frank_dittrich@...mail.com]
>>On 06/30/2012 06:13 PM, jfoug wrote:
>
>The only 2 usages of this macro, are wrapped with #define
>!ARCH_ALLOWS_UNALIGNED.   That the generic build of linux uses this
>SLOWER
>code bothers me.  I think we should look at adding at least that much
>smarts to the generic build.

Download attachment "JtR-Bleed-make-generic-fixes.diff" of type "application/octet-stream" (758 bytes)

Download attachment "JtR-Bleed-make-generic-unaligned.diff" of type "application/octet-stream" (1048 bytes)