Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 06:23:21 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RAR's SHA-1 speed on GPU

magnum -

Do you know how many times the SHA-1 compression function is invoked (on
average?) per the 256k rounds of the loop in rar_kernel.cl, for the test
vectors that we're currently using?  In other words, how many SHA-1s per
second do our current c/s rates for RAR translate to?  Of course,
there's lots of other "overhead" besides SHA-1 involved, but I am
curious nevertheless.

I naively thought that we had SHA-1 on every iteration, but this doesn't
appear to be the case, or the speed on GTX 570 would be unbelievably
high (only 8 clock cycles per SHA-1 round, which would be too good given
the lack of rotates and bit selects on NVIDIA).

Alexander