Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 02:19:43 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com, earthquake@...on.hu
Subject: MySQL 3.23 hash optimizations

Hi,

I just found this web page:

http://www.tobtu.com/mysql323code.php

It mentions a reversing optimization and, if I understand correctly,
testing entire groups of candidate passwords with much fewer explicit
tests - but this probably won't fit into JtR.

Well, maybe it'd fit if crypt_all() can produce more output indices than
we had keys set with set_key().  (A formats interface enhancement that
is planned anyway.)  Then get_key() would generate and return the actual
"virtual keys" (if there's a match on a key that was never tried by the
high-level code explicitly).

I just thought I'd have this "bookmarked" in here.

Alexander