Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:36:33 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: mschapv2 conversion

Your format.  I have worked through others that behaved like this.

Sounds like possible data overwrite issues. The overwrite is not fatal (JtR
still runs), but it damages memory.  Rerunning loads it differently, and
processes differently, due to only 46 of the hashes left to crack.

NOTE, I cannot say for 100% sure this is it, but it would be the first thing
I would look for.  Find the max length your format can handle (including any
salts, etc), and make sure to not accept anything longer.  Also, make SURE
the salt size chosen in the TS are correct for the format. Some of the salts
I did not know length of ITW samples, so I 'guessed', and could have that
wrong.

Jim.

From: deepika dutta [mailto:deepikadutta_19@...oo.com]

Hi, I did the required changes and was testing using test suite, it succeeds
for 1454 cases. When I run the command directly on john as follows:

./john -ses=./tst -nolog -pot=./tst.pot mschapv2_tst.in -w:pw.dic
'-form=mschapv2'

it succeeds for 1454 cases and on again running the command, it runs
successfully for rest 46 cases..... So the problem is that certain cases are
being skipped or not getting cracked in first attempt but crack on second
attempt.... I am looking into this problem... are you aware of any reason
may be causing it?

Content of type "text/html" skipped