Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 13:16:33 -0500
From: "jfoug" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: I think I got it (was: For some dynamic formats on linux-x86-mmx build cracking depends on password candidate sequence)

I think I can do this by making this change to the pre-loader:

typedef struct DYNAMIC_Setup_t
{
	char *szFORMAT_NAME;  // md5(md5($p).$s) etc

	// Ok, this will be the functions to 'use'.
	// This should be a 'null' terminated list.  5000 is MAX.
	DYNAMIC_primitive_funcp *pFuncs;
	struct fmt_tests *pPreloads;
	DYNAMIC_Constants *pConstants;
	unsigned flags;
	unsigned startFlags;
	int SaltLen;		// these are SSE lengths
	int MaxInputLen;		// SSE max length password
+	int MaxInputLenX86;	// if zero, then use PW len of SSE
+	int SaltLenX86;		// if zero, then use salt len of SSE
} DYNAMIC_Setup;

Then I can change the pre-loads to all properly setup themselves for SSE (mmx). If they can have longer passwords in x86 mode (or longer salts?? Probably not), then I can add that data, and it will allow it to get set properly.

Frank.  THANK YOU very much, for your dogged persistence in tracking this down.  With your description, I am pretty sure I can get it working properly.

This is certainly something that needs fixed.  Running against very 'ugly' word lists will cause dynamic to slowly smash itself, if used on a format that does not call the clean_full (which most do not).

Jim.

>From: jfoug [mailto:jfoug@....net]
>>$ ./john --list=format-all-details |grep -B 15 -A 5 dynamic_2:
>>
>>Format label                    	dynamic
>>Max. password length in bytes   	82

Clip.