Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 13:20:56 +0200
From: Tavis Ormandy <>
Subject: Re: Re: Re: asan report

magnum <> wrote:

> > > I've had such thoughts too. But I'm not sure how we'd handle wordlist
> > > buffer mode (which is a huge speedup). We'll need to think it over.
> >>

> > OK, sounds good to me.
> BTW you still advertise a BINARY_SIZE of 20 octets although you would do
> perfectly fine with 4. The difference is very far from neglectable if you
> load a couple of million hashes. I *really* think this should be your #1
> goal and it's a walk in the park. Take a look at a late rawSHA1_fmt_plug.c
> and look for BINARY_SIZE vs DIGEST_SIZE.
> magnum

I understand, I'm just not sure it's worth the performance penalty (because
I can't treat it like a dqword in cmp_all). I can think of a faster format
if I store it redundantly, like:

SHA1  =00112233 44556677 aabbccdd eeff3344 eeaa1122

Then I only have to shuffle it once, instead of once per cmp_all. That's a
saving of 4 bytes per hash, and I can still use it like a dqword, is that

I made both changes, so you can choose. I sent you a pull req for the 16byte
one, but the 4byte one is here if you prefer: