Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 15:32:14 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: markov per-position / masks

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 03:10:59PM +0400, Elijah [W&P] wrote:
> Atom just announced his new oclHashcat-lite v0.10 and it has interesting
> functionality that came from statprocessor 0.04 - it is per-position markov
> approach. It s definitively not the same stats that markov has in John but

It sounds (from those forum threads) more similar to John's incremental
mode than to Markov mode.

> +29% efficiency is great.

Yes, I've seen a similar efficiency increase when I added per-position
stats to John's incremental mode in 1997.  We have those since.

> P.S. speaking of statprocessor and working with masks it allows - maybe I'm
> missing something but masks is not even mentioned in John's wishlist.

The wishlist is what magnum and Jim and Dhiru want to see and
potentially work on themselves. ;-)  Mask mode is on my to-do, and it is
a rather high priority now that it's relevant to myrice's work on fast
hashes on GPU.  Have you missed that bit of discussion in here?

> There even was such a
> version with masks like 7 years ago but sources are gone/it is not
> maintained anymore.

I don't recall that.

Alexander