Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 02:29:10 +0200
From: magnum <john.magnum@...hmail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Jumbo-6 release status

Solar, all,

Here is my disillusioned picture of how things are going:

* Two more formats are as bad or good as the CUDA mscash formats, namely
raw-sha224-cuda and raw-sha256-cuda. Unless they get fixed, we could
give them the same warning label and document it in doc/BUGS.

* raw-sha512-opencl and raw-sha512-cuda do not seem to crack a single
password. I think we need to move them to unused/ unless fixed. If we
ditch them we should take them out of the "new formats" list in
doc/CHANGES-jumbo too.

* The non-raw SHA2 GPU formats are not yet in Test Suite (Jim is working
on cryptsha256/cryptsha512). We can just hope they do not have similar
problems unless someone actually tested them with files lately.

* Frank seem to have found bugs in dynamic for some odd build targets
(clang 32-bit, and MMX).

* We have about 150 variable declarations not at top of block, all of
them are in GPU formats. I suppose we release them as-is although I hate
the warnings now emitted in bleeding-jumbo because they hide worse
problems. And if I drop the -Wdeclaration-after-statement in bleeding,
no-one will ever fix them.

Do we have more issues I forgot now? We should have a bug tracker.

I'm going to sleep now. On the bright side, the last week has been
loaded with tests, fixes and enhancements that just never happened until
JIT.

magnum